Mantecados

Seville, beautiful and diverse

Founded as a "Museum of Paintings" in 1835, it opened in 1841 with works from confiscated convents and monasteries, occupying the former Convent of La Merced Calzada, founded by San Pedro Nolasco after the conquest of Seville in 1248.

It was founded more than three centuries ago by Canon Justin de Neve to shelter and care for elderly and handicapped clergymen.

The building dates from the 17th century and is the headquarters of a charity promoted by Miguel de Mañara, a philanthropist who cared for the underprivileged. In many other hospitals, sick homeless were not admitted, so he decided to cure those patients in the Brotherhood of the Holy Charity itself and inaugurated the first infirmary of the Hospital in June 1674.

The Seville Town Hall, one of the best examples of Plateresque architecture, was a gift from King Charles V to the town in response to his desire to give Seville the status of a great city that it deserved.

The Mudejar-style Church, named after the town’s patron saint, also has Gothic and Renaissance art elements. It was built over an ancient mosque destroyed by an earthquake in the fourteenth century. The old presbytery has been preserved from its initial construction.