The old parish church of Santa María Magdalena must have been built on top of an old mosque. In the time of King Peter I, as a result of the strong earthquake of 1355, it was rebuilt in the Gothic-Mudejar style similar to other churches in the town.
The Church of San Martín is one of the oldest temples in the town. It must have been built during the 15th century and it is believed that Alonso Rodríguez, the Master Builder of the Cathedral itself, was involved in its construction.
Its construction characteristics correspond to those of the 14th century Seville parish churches, in Gothic-Mudejar style, being one of the least modified of that group, despite the vicissitudes suffered by the building over time. Rectangular in shape, it has three naves, the side naves being flat and the central nave having an octagonal apse covered with ribbed brick vaults.
In Seville, a medieval church was built on top of a former caliphal mosque (formerly a Roman basilica), which today still has its courtyard with orange trees (Patio de los Naranjos).
The San Vicente Mártir Parish Church was built between 1703 and 1711 on the former site of a church and hospital. The building was paid by Francisco José de la Plata y Ovando, a knight of the Order of Saint John of Jerusalem and “Comendador” of Tocina.
Declared a Site of Cultural Interest (BIC) in 2001
The Santa María la Mayor Church is also home to Estepa’s Museum of Sacred Art, located on the Cerro de San Cristobal.
The Church sits inside the walled compound of Estepa Castle, next to the Santa Clara and San Francisco convents.
It was founded by the Mercedarian Fathers in the early 17th century. The Church was later occupied by the Salesian Fathers and finally placed under the custody of the Archdiocese. The portal on the west front was made by Juan Ruiz Florindo. The San José Church boasts an 18th-century high altar by the Ecijan sculptor Martín de Toledo.