This chapel is located in what is now a central street of our town, which was formerly known as Calle de San Benito.
In Seville, Alfonso X decided to build the Royal Shipyards in 1252, in order to construct galleys outside the walled enclosure and very close to the River Guadalquivir, in the area between the Gold Tower, the Silver Tower, and the Coal Gate and Oil Gate.
Given its privileged location, overlooking the vast territories of the North that shape the La Campiña, there is evidence of human settlements since very early times. The Castle started as an Ibero-Turdetan defensive bastion in the 5th century BC. When the Carthaginians arrived 200 years later, it became a watchtower.
The imposing Gothic castle of Cote was built at the end of the 13th century by order of Alfonso X, and handed over, together with Morón, to the military order of Alcántara in 1297, which led to the creation of commandery in the area.
The Utrera Castle is located on a natural hill. It consists of curtain walls with defensive towers at the corners and between walls. The core area within dates from before the 14th century. Over time, the walled area expanded to 18 hectares, encompassing the Castle and 38 towers.