Romería

Culture

Art, feeling and tradition

Osuna Bullring

1254
2

Osuna’s Bullring was designed by Aníbal González. The construction began at the beginning of 1902 with ashlars from the ancient Roman city of Osuna. It was opened on 13 May 1904, with Montes and Chamaquito, the two most famous bullfighters at the time. The bullring was built to prevent the bullfights from taking place in the town squares. In May 1999, the bullring was purchased by the Osuna’s City Council.

The bullring has the typical layout of the time: a ring, a barrier and an alley. The ring itself is two concentric walls made of local sandstone. It is subdivided into eight sectors marked by eight accesses. In the middle of the ring, opposite the gate where the bulls enter the arena, is a vaulted tunnel that reminds the oval-shaped bowels of Italica’s amphitheatre. The arena is a forty-eight metres diameter circle, one of the largest in the Iberian Peninsula. The grandstands have a capacity of six thousand five hundred seats. The Bullfighting Museum, opened in March 2019, is also situated at the bullring. It consists of three thematic areas: the history of the bullring, its bullfighting history and the bullfighting culture.

Osuna’s bullring has been used for different TV commercials, as well as short films, photographic reports and feature-length films, including the impressive final scene from the fifth season of “Game of Thrones”.

Capacity
6500 people
Category
Tercera
Year of inauguration
1904
Visiting hours

Winter (16 September -15 June) : 
Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays
(Guided tours)
10:15-11:15-12:15-13:15-16:15-17:15

Summer (16 June-15 September)
Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays
(Guided tours)
09:30-10:30-11:30-12:30-13:30
Thursday: 19:15-20:15

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.