In late 1939 the couple formed by Victoria MacKinlay and José María Escobar acquired almost all of Graciliano Pérez Tabernero's fighting bull livestock in Salamanca. They took it to rented properties in the province of Madrid and in early 1940 José Escobar bought 1,000 ha of the southern half of Isla Mínima. There he built the Escobar settlement, leaving both farms in the hands of his heirs.
The fighting bulls were brought from Madrid to Salteras by train. It was the first time in history that fighting bulls were moved by this means of transport. There, several groups of bullocks from the livestock farms of Ángel Peralta, Concha y Sierra, Daniel de la Fuente, Pablo Romero and Moreno Santa María were waiting for them with their overseers to take them on foot to the marshes where they have now been grazing for more than 60 years.
He also set up a Carthusian horse farm on the estate. After the death of José María and Victoria, it is their daughter and grandchildren who maintain the rice farm, the bulls and the Carthusian horses, as well as hunting and tourism activities, running the farm with the love and care that their parents instilled in them.
Visiting the livestock farm, witnessing a tentadero (test of the suitability of bulls for bullfighting), attending a capea (amateur bullfighting with young bulls), watching the training of a bullfighter, taking a boat ride, hunting waterfowl and attending equestrian or flamenco shows are some of the activities offered by the Herederos de José María Escobar livestock farm.