In the Triana neighbourhood, in Seville, the Virgen de la Estrella Chapel is the definitive seat of the Pontifical, Royal, Illustrious and Fervent Sacramental Brotherhood and Confraternity of Nazarenes of Nuestro Padre Jesús de las Penas, María Santísima de la Estrella, Triunfo del Santo Lignum Crucis, San Francisco de Paula and Santas Justa and Rufina, after going through up to four previous sites since its foundation in 1560. This brotherhood goes on procession on Palm Sunday.
The current location of the Virgen de la Estrella Chapel was established in October 1962, with the acquisition of a plot of land at 41 San Jacinto Street, where the architect Alfonso Gómez de la Lastra was to execute a project for a brotherhood house.
The project of the Chapel was decided in 1973 and was commissioned to the architect Antonio Delgado Roig and the altars to Antonio Martín. In its execution, the difficult geometries of the typical plot between party walls of a traditional urban framework are made the most of. Thus, the nooks and crannies are used to integrate altars. It also has a choir and a sacristy, as well as an access via an internal staircase to the Brotherhood's offices in the upper areas thereof.
The Virgen de la Estrella Chapel was blessed by Cardinal Bueno Monreal on the Passion Saturday of 1976, and the following day, Palm Sunday, the Brotherhood left San Jacinto for the last time to enter its new headquarters. Refurbishments and extensions were made in 1982 and 1988.
The Virgen de la Estrella, an undocumented life-size candlestick image, has traditionally been attributed to the sculptor Juan Martínez Montañés, although more recent studies proposed that the Virgen de la Estrella would be a work by Luisa Ignacia Roldán (La Roldana) and made in the artist's Seville period, coinciding with the historical moment immediately after the fusion, in 1674, with the Brotherhood of Nuestro Padre Jesús de las Penas.
The image of Jesús de las Penas, during its restoration in 1997, was housing a document inside the pedestal that mentioned the authorship of José de Arce, dating it to 1655. The image of Blessed John Paul II in a seated position, dressed as a pontiff with the white cassock, the red hood and the stole, was carved by José Antonio Navarro Arteaga in 2012.