Built on a former mosque, its construction features show that it is part of the large group of Gothic-Mudejar churches in Seville. In this case, it is a temple that has been greatly transformed both internally and externally by the various extensions carried out over the centuries. It has a classic rectangular floor plan with three naves separated by brick pillars and covered with wooden coffering, with some side chapels added later. During the violent events of 1936, the church suffered significant damage.
Currently the church is the headquarters of the brotherhood of La Amargura, also resides a religious society that has as patron saint the Virgen de la Cabeza, as well as the Brotherhood of Ntra. Sra. De Montemayor.