This Renaissance temple (1556-1588) has Gothic-Mudejar elements. It belonged to the former Encarnación School founded by Luis Cristobal Ponce de León (second Duke of Arcos) and his wife María de Toledo and run by the Jesuit fathers. Only Church and a beautiful cloister remain from the original building.
The works began in 1556 and were completed thirty-two years later in 1588. The compound consisted of the Church and a quadrangular porticoed courtyard attached to the community’s premises, and a few school building to the south.
The remarkable main altarpiece is the product of collaborative efforts by several famous artists of the time, including Brother Alonso Matías, who designed the altarpiece, and the painters Alonso Vázquez and Juan de Roelas.