The Hacienda de Torrijos was not originally intended to be a religious building. Its past as an ancient Moorish military fortress is evidenced by the presence of walls and towers. The hacienda is considered a cultural asset.
The Chapel is a privately owned building, set within the Hacienda of the same name, but since the discovery of the image of the Cristo de Torrijos it has become a centre of public devotion open to daily worship. It is presided over by the majestic image of the Santísimo Cristo de Torrijos, on the only existing altarpiece, from the late 18th century, gilded and painted with Corinthian columns. The altarpiece also features a 17th-century relief of the head of San Pedro, an 18th-century sculpture of the Archangel Michael in the attic, and a seated image of the Virgen del Rosario, from the same period, in a niche at the foot of the Cristo de Torrijos.
On the walls there are several canvases, among them a Santa Rosa de Lima and the Chasuble of San Ildefonso, from the 18th century. There is a very interesting collection of silver lamps hanging from the altarpiece, the oldest being from the first half of the 17th century.
The Chapel was renovated in 1896, as stated on a commemorative tile on the interior door, by José Mª Diosdado y del Castillo, its owner. From inside the Chapel, you can access the so-called Patio de los Jazmines (Jasmine Courtyard), which communicates the chapel with the private house of the owners, Mr. and Mrs. De Silva y Mendaro, and which contains the well in the hole in the wall where the image of the Cristo de Torrijos was found on 29 September 1600.
Afternoons: 04:00 pm to 07:00 pm
Sundays and holidays: 10:00 am to 1:00 pm
Afternoons: 06:00 pm to 09:00 pm
Sundays and holidays: 9:30 am to 1:00 pm