The impressive pictorial decoration from the 18th century makes this Church an artistic landmark. The Nuestra Señora de la Asunción Church was completed in 1646. It has always had strong ties with the Real Hospital de Pobres Enfermos de la Asunción, a charity hospital.
This baroque Church sits between the Palace of the Marquises of Cerverales (from where one could access the Chapel of the Virgin of Sorrows through a small window) and the former Hospital. It consists of a single nave with two chapels on the left, covered by a barrel vault with lunettes divided into four sections by barrel arches. The nave dates from 1652. The 18th-century pictorial decoration by Manuel Jódar is an excellent example of horror vacui.
The beautiful, hexagonal small chapel above the altar holds the image of the Virgin of the Assumption.
Highlights inside include the richly-decorated, baroque-style altarpieces, in the Chapel of the Sorrows and the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception. There is also a statue of Saint Anthony of Padua made by Luis Salvador Carmona, and a late 16th-century sculpture of Saint Jerome, the patron saint of Estepa.