The Gothic-Mudejar building dates back to the 13th-14th centuries.
The base of the building is covered with Sevillian tiles from various chronological periods. It has a single T-shaped nave in which the Baptismal Chapel, the Presbytery and the Sacristy can be distinguished.
The temple has three access doors, each in different styles from different periods. The main entrance, over which stands the bell tower, consists of a large semi-circular arch separated by a vestibule with another ogival door. The second door or “Puerta del Sol” consists of a lowered arch, and the third, known as “Puerta del Perdón”, opens onto the Gospel Chapel or Forgiveness Chapel.
The construction works began between 1272 and 1285; however, the completion date is unknown. Although the structure was initially Gothic, Mudejar ornaments were added during the second period, as can be seen in windows, the use of plaster and brick, horseshoe and polylobed arches.
Its thick walls, which add robustness, are peculiar. The original axis of the church had a west-east orientation, unlike the typical medieval east-west alignment of churches.
Its current name was taken in 1583 from the 16th-century image of Our Lady of the Pomegranate by an anonymous author. The statue is in the central niche of the main altarpiece. The stern image of the Virgin Mary with a pomegranate in one hand and the Child in the other is remarkable. This neoclassical altarpiece has columns and straight lines and a gable with a painting of the Passion of the Lord by an anonymous author.