The Palace of San Telmo was built in 1682 to house the Seminary College of the University of Mareantes. In 1849 it became the residence of the Dukes of Montpensier, who completed the north tower and built the entrance to the hallway, the east wing and the ballroom. The new rooms are stuccoed and gilded by Pelli and Rossi and their walls are covered with paintings brought from the Palace of Vista Alegre. The ceilings of the ballroom are decorated by Rafael Tejeo.
It is one of the most beautiful buildings in Seville. It has a rectangular floor plan with four towers and a large central courtyard, with a remarkable 18th century façade by Leonardo de Figueroa and a side façade with sculptures dedicated to famous people from Seville by Antonio Susillo.
The Palace had tap water, bathrooms, electricity and telegraph services and even its own jetty to access the River Guadalquivir, as well as Versailles-style gardens that would later become the Maria Luisa Park.
The Chapel of the San Telmo Palace is a jewel of Andalusian and Spanish art, with a single nave, barrel vault and five altarpieces: the main one, dedicated to the Virgen del Buen Aire, two on the Epistle side, with Saint Thomas Aquinas and Saint Anthony, and another two on the Gospel side, presided over by a crucified Christ and Saint Joseph.
Ms María Luisa Fernanda, on her death in 1897, donated the Palace to the Archbishopric. In 1901 it became a Diocesan Seminary. Since 1989 it has belonged to the Regional Government of Andalusia which, after refurbishing several areas and restoring its status as a palace, co-invested it in April 1992 in the seat of the Presidency of the Regional Government of Andalusia.