The Barefoot Carmelite Convent of the Conception was founded in 1577 by Francisco Álvarez de Bohórquez and his wife, Catalina de Coria. The convent was opened in 1580.
The only 16th-century cloistered convent in Utrera has been uninterruptedly inhabited since its foundation. The building is smaller than the original one, as it underwent an extensive renovation in the 19th century funded by the Marquises of San Marcial. Today, it still has its vegetable garden and stockyard, as well as the cloister, the chapter house and the refectory. It also has locutories, guest quarters and a turntable. The turntable is used to deliver the delicious convent sweets that are on sale.
Currently, the convent of the Carmelite nuns in Utrera is a space for solidarity, prayer and interculturality. Many nuns come from the missions in Africa. Their intercultural contribution is patent in the songs, as there has been a fusion of traditional conventual hymns with the African rhythms.
The Mudejar-style church has a single nave covered by wooden coffering decorated with Mudejar strapwork. At the west end of the nave stands a high choir also crowned by the coffered ceiling, while the rectangular, low choir is covered by a barrel vault with lunettes and barrel arches with plasterwork.
Behind the high altarpiece is the Sacristy, and above it the sacristan’s house with a plain ceiling. The two external portals, consisting of semi-circular arches, pilasters, triangular pediment and pyramid-shaped coping, have been restored. Its composition is typical of the style in vogue when the convent was founded.
9:00 - 13:00 and 16:00 - 18:00