The walls of Seville, built by Julius Caesar, were seven kilometres long, with 166 towers, 13 gates and 6 shutters.
It is universally known that Seville has one of the three largest historical centres in Europe; this so-called "old town" is limited by the walls that have surrounded Seville since time immemorial. Specifically, these walls of Seville were built by order of Julius Caesar, during the Roman domination, around 65 BC and extended by Caesar Augustus as the town grew. Previously, Seville had a palisade built by the Carthaginians, which was insufficient to protect the town.
In the Arab period, they ordered the walls to be strengthened, which were destroyed after a Viking attack; it is recorded that in 913 and 1023 the town walls were raised or reinforced again to protect it from attacks by Christian troops during the reconquest of the peninsula.
They remained until the 19th century, when they were partially demolished after the revolution of 1868. Today, some stretches remain in the Macarena district and the area around the Real Alcázar in Seville, mainly.
It must be remarked that Seville's defences were one of the most impressive in Europe, with almost seven kilometres long, 166 minor towers, 13 gates and 6 shutters, of which only four remain: the Macarena Gate, the Cordoba Gate, the Oil Gate and the Alcazar Gate.
The remains preserved today have a clearly Almohad look, mixed with the classicist style provided by the restorations of the existing doors in the 18th century.