The building of the Royal Parrish Church of Señora Santa Ana, in Mudejar Gothic style, was built at the request of King Alfonso X el Sabio in the well-known Triana district. This construction began in 1266 by Castilian master stonemasons and Muslim builders.
It was the first Christian temple to be built on a new site in Seville after it was reconquered in 1248. Nobles, soldiers, merchants, sailors and rich men from the neighbourhood built chapels on the original outline of the temple from the end of the 15th century, founded chaplaincies and left their mark alongside those of great sculptors, painters, architects, goldsmiths and ceramists who executed the magnificent works that can be found today as part of the building or its artistic heritage.
The main altarpiece, by Nufro Ortega and Nicolás Jurate, contains fifteen panels by Pedro de Campaña, the main exponent of Mannerism in his time. The altarpiece has been completely restored by the Andalusian Historical Heritage Institute between 2008 and 2010.
The earthquake of 1755 caused great damage to the temple, so Pedro de Silva, the Archbishop's Master of Works, partially rebuilt it and gave it a baroque appearance that still remains on the outside. New work operations were carried out in the interior between 1970 and 1972, under the management of the Architect Rafael Manzano, to bring out the brick and stone, thus recovering its primitive medieval appearance.
It has been declared a Site of Cultural Interest since 1931.