The Sailors' Chapel is a Catholic building located on Pureza street, in the Triana district. It is the headquarters of the Brotherhood of Hope of Triana.
It was built in 1759 in the same place where the chapel of the Colegio de Mareantes in Seville had been located. After the French occupation, it was secularised and turned into a warehouse, becoming also an Anglican church and a theatre.
In 1953, the Brotherhood of Hope, at the request of its spiritual director José Sebastián y Bandarán, decided to restore it, starting works in 1958 under a project by Aurelio Gómez Millán. The blessing took place in 1962 and on Good Friday of that year the brotherhood finished its penitential season in its new headquarters.
The chapel is divided into three naves, a central one and two lateral ones. The carved coffered ceiling stands out, made of red pine wood from the now defunct Villasís School. The central lamp, carved out of glass from the 19th century, comes from the now defunct Café Gran Britz.
The presbytery is dominated by the High Altarpiece, with two bodies and three hallways, from the second third of the 18th century. In the central part of the altarpiece, the venerated image of Nuestra Señora de La Esperanza de Triana is located. Its author is unknown, although it is attributed to Juan de Astorga, being made in the 19th century.
In 2010, expansion works began, according to the architectural project by José Ramón Rodríguez Gautier, and thanks to the purchase of properties adjacent to the chapel by the brotherhood. The integral reform of the temple includes two new altarpieces and modern security systems for the images. After the works, on 29 April 2010, the chapel was blessed by Juan José Asenjo Pelegrina, Archbishop of Seville.