The stained glass windows of the Cathedral of Seville constitute one of the most extensive, homogeneous and best preserved groups of Spanish cathedrals. The one hundred and thirty-eight stained glass windows preserved also represent a magnificent chapter in the history of this technique in the Iberian Peninsula, from the 15th to the 20th century.
The shape of the windows and the iconography of their glass surfaces are in line with the various commissions and the construction stages of the building.
The oldest stained glass windows are made in the Gothic style and are the seventeen ones that close the openings above the side chapels and the western main nave, made by the Alsatian Enrique Alemán, who also worked on the cathedral of Toledo and is documented in Seville from 1478 to 1483.
Once the Gothic construction was completed, the Cathedral commissioned the stained glass windows of the main altar, transept and eastern naves, both those located above the chapels and above the accesses and most of those that close the openings of the perimeter chapels.
The Renaissance master glaziers worked continuously on its production until the third decade of the 16th century, when they practically concluded the general programme after one hundred years.
In the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries other artists made interesting stained glass windows that show the evolution of the same during the baroque and neoclassical period.