This Mudejar-style Parish Church was renovated in the late 18th century and the mid-20th century. It is located in the centre of the town, very close to the castle.
The Church owes its name to the town’s patron saint, Saint Martha.
The construction of the chapel began around 1732. By 1746 it had been roofed and blessed and masses were celebrated there, and it was finally completed in 1749 with the addition of a belfry with two bells, formerly known in the town as La Gorda (Fat Lady) and La Chica (Little Girl). The construction of the chapel was financed by donations from the inhabitants of Herrera.
La Carlina has a romantic history.
The original church dating from the late 16th century was renovated in the 17th and 18th centuries, giving it its current style and appearance. The tower was also built in the 18th century.
The façade of the Plaza de Andalucía dates back to the latter half of the 20th century. The building typifies Andalusian rationalist architecture. The ensemble comprised of the Town Hall, Plaza de Andalucía, Marchena, Victoria and Sevilla streets, and the Plaza del Cabildo is the real nerve centre and one of the town’s most beautiful cityscapes.
The 18th-century temple was built on an old Mudejar temple from the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, destroyed by the Lisbon earthquake. The project was completed, among others, by José Álvarez, a neoclassical architect who gave the church its current appearance and style.
San Juan Church has an elongated and irregular nave with a transept and flat apse. This results from the merger of two adjacent chapels in the late eighteenth century, the Sacramental Chapel and the old Jesus the Nazarene Chapel, which survived the demolition of the earlier church.