The church was built around 1620 by order of the Marquises of Estepa. It is of Romanesque origin, with 18th century renovations and additions. The church originally had a Latin cross floor plan, to which the side chapels and the right nave were later added. Inside, it houses 18th century chapels and altarpieces.
The images of St. Paul and St. Peter are located next to the alcove of the image of the Virgin. Other images include the image of Saint Anne, attributed to the Granada school of Alonso Cano. Also noteworthy is the 17th century Baroque image of Saint Francis of Assisi. Its canvases, panels and goldwork are also of great artistic value.