The Hospital del Pozo Santo is located in the square of the same name, in Seville. It was founded in 1667, on the initiative of the nuns Marta de Jesús Carrillo and Beatriz Jerónima de la Concepción, of the Franciscan Tertiary order, both of whom are buried on the right-hand side wall of the church.
They called it the Santísimo Cristo Varón de los Dolores, the purpose o which being the assistance of disabled women in bed or blind, an activity that continues today as a nursing home.
Its common name is the Hospital del Pozo Santo, as it is located in the square of that name. Its origin is based on a curious legend: a child fell into a well in this place and his mother prayed to the Virgin. The water of the well overflowed and the child was saved. Today the well has a parapet and the image of the Virgin at the moment of the miracle, which is worshipped on the high altar of the nearby church of the Hospital de la Misericordia.
It has six rooms. It must be highlighted a curious painting from the 16th century on the Epidemic of the Plague in Seville, a Baroque bed, gilded in the 18th century, where on 15 August the image of the Virgen del Tránsito is placed in a procession through the convent, the only place where there are ten paintings by the Archangels, attributed to Zurbarán's workshop.
There are also the paintings of the founding mothers, the Virgin, by Francisco Meneses, the Divine Shepherdess by Cristóbal Ramos, the Virgin of la Amparo and the Assumption by Lucas Valdés.
Among other images, the Baby Jesus by Ruiz Gijón or a San Miguel by Juan de Espinal can be found.