Known as “Las Gemelas”, these towers are the only structure standing of the Purísima Concepción Church that belonged to the former Barefoot Mercedarian Monastery, which was built in the 18th century. Following the secularisation, the property was transferred to the Town Council.
Its name comes from the Order of the Mercedarios Descalzos, who built it in the 17th century.
This church is considered one of the most significant Baroque buildings in the province of Seville and a jewel of Ecijan Baroque. The Limpia Concepción de Nuestra Señora Church (Los Descalzos) was renovated between 2006 and 2009, under the “Baroque Andalusia” programme of the Andalusian Government. The church had remained closed for 30 years until then.
The Convent of the Barefoot Mercedarians of Corpus Christi with its Conventual Church was built between 1604 and 1617 by Diego Pérez Alcaraz to house a community of Mercedarian friars.