The church was built taking advantage of most of the mosque that existed before the conquest of Guadalcanal by the Order of Santiago. It can be considered the oldest in Guadalcanal, as it was blessed as a Christian church by the bishop of Coria, Jaime Sanguineto, who came in the company of the Great Master Rodrigo de Iñiguez, in April 1241.
This building was built in 1307 and was originally the supply house of the Master of the Order of Santiago.
Architecturally, it is a slightly trapezoid-shaped ashlar construction. It consists of two floors, each of them formed by a nave roofed with a wooden framework.