The Shrine to Saint Barbara is located on Villanueva del Río y Minas’ Guadalquivir Street, north of the town centre and Corta San Fernando. It is a simple chapel with a cross plan built in 1944.
This Shrine combines Renaissance-style architectural elements, such as the tympanum, with clearly Gothic lancet windows. This eclectic mix can also be seen in other buildings in this town, such as the San Fernando Church.
The Shrine houses the image of Saint Barbara, patron saint of the Minas, made by the sculptor Antonio García López de Acuña.