In the 8th century, when Gerena had already been conquered, the church was built from the tower (altar area) towards the door of forgiveness. Moors were involved in its construction, which is why the arches that separate the two parts of the church are of Mudejar style and the roof is a wooden coffered ceiling. The main altar was also built at that time. It was built in several stages from the 8th to the 14th century. In the 16th century, an extension was added to the church from the last column to the door of forgiveness. You can see that the arches here are semicircular while the earlier ones are pointed. The last door is made of bricks (two-coloured) and dates back to the Renaissance.
In the eighteenth century the Lisbon earthquake destroyed the tower, which had to be rebuilt. During the Republic (1932), it suffered a major fire. The only thing to survive was a Gothic style carving of a crucifix. The damage it suffered in the fire can still be seen. The roof was rebuilt with vaults and iron in 1936. At the entrance there is a memorial tablet. The altarpiece is a donation from a convent in Carmona, and the fonts are from an old convent in Gerena. The skirting boards are made of Triana ceramics. They are from the Montalbán factory and are made one by one. Some items of Mexican silverwork from Potosi are also preserved, such as the parish cross.
In 1970, the altar where the masses are celebrated was installed. It is made of granite from Gerena. It consists of 2 pieces weighing 2,000 kilos. When the hole was made for its installation, a crypt was discovered underneath the altar. It contains 5 boxes of human remains belonging to the heirs of the Counts of Gerena, including the daughter of the Count and Garcia de Leanis (family member). The Count of Gerena bought the villa from Bucarelli, of Italian origin, who was the first Count of Gerena.