The Town Council commissioned the barracks. An inscription on the lintel over the door reveals that construction works began in 1577 during the reign of King Felipe II.
The museum is located in the Plaza de España. The access to it is located in the inner gallery of the square, between the Puerta de Aragón and the Torre Norte. It has obtained a large part of the collection of the old Maestranza de Artillería in Seville, the 1897 Memorial of which refers to a "model room", which has been considered the seed of the first artillery museum in Seville.