This Priory Church is the epitome of Carmona’s religious architecture and the town’s largest building.
The earlier Almohad mosque was demolished in 1424 to build the Christian temple, the first phase of which was completed in 1518. The ablutions courtyard remains.
The Priory Church of Santa María de la Asunción in Carmona amazes with its magnificent Gothic architecture. Since the 16th century, it has been amassing a treasure-trove of artistic heritage in its museum, which opens onto the Patio de los Naranjos, the remains of the ancient Muslim mosque.