The Shrine is located adjacent to the castle of Setefilla, a Muslim fortress on a hill of the same name, mentioned by Alfonso X as Septefilia or Sitre Fillas.
This large 15th-century, Mudejar-style building was rebuilt in the 18th century. It underwent a major intervention in 1709 after it was destroyed by a hurricane. The Shrine, located twelve kilometres from the town, is dedicated to the patron saint.
The temple has three naves separated by pillars and covered with a wooden structure. The main Chapel has a section covered with a dome on pendentives and another with a barrel vault with lunettes, profusely decorated with polychrome baroque plasterwork. The Church has two entrances, one in the footwall and the other in the Epistle nave. Both entrances are contemporary, as is the portico that surrounds the building. The Church is surrounded on three sides by a wide porch formed by semi-circular arches supported by pillars and buttresses on its sides and in the back.
The high altar, which dates back to around 1730, is a single piece with “estípites” and Solomonic columns and topped by a gable. Aside from the titular image of Our Lady of Setefilla, an exact copy of the late Gothic sculpture destroyed in 1936, the altarpiece also contains statues of Saint Mary of Egypt and Saint Joseph.
A late 17th-century sculpture of St Anthony of Padua was on the left collateral altarpiece, now moved to the foot of this same nave. An excellent collection of 18th, 19th and 20th centuries “Vítores” are displayed on the walls of the Church, as are a series of ex-votos in Our Lady’s dressing room.
9:00 to 13:00 and 18:00 to 21:00