In 1731, a group of boys would walk through the streets singing the rosary “more for childish entertainment than true devotion”. Gradually, more people joined them until the Confraternity of the Servites was founded. The Church of Our Lady of Sorrows is the architectural gem of the Confraternity.
It has been governed by the Capuchin Franciscans since its inauguration in 1724. Its church is baroque. The interior, which forms a Latin cross plan, is very richly decorated, characteristic of the Baroque period of the second half of the 18th century, with great sumptuousness and a profusion of decorative pieces, which contrasts with the austerity of the nuns.
The Church of San Nicolás de Bari was one of the parishes founded after the reconquest by Ferdinand III of Castile in 1248. It was originally Gothic-Mudejar and in the 18th century it would be rebuilt as a baroque building.
The building is listed as an Asset of Cultural Interest. The style is baroque in transition to neoclassicism. It was built on an earlier Mudejar-style church that was demolished due to the damage caused by the Lisbon earthquake (1755). Its construction began in 1780 and ended in 1801.
The Shrine to Our Lady of Incarnation is located within the Celti archaeological site (Asset of Cultural Interest), on San Pedro Street, an extension of Juan Carlos I Street towards Calvario Street, La Viña and the former road from Cordoba to Seville.
The baroque-style Franciscan convent was built in the 18th century. Its foundation dates back to 1492. The original convent was on the foothills of the Sierra Morena, 6 km from Peñaflor, where a fountain and some ruins are still preserved. In 1731, the decision was made to relocate the convent from the mountains to the village of Peñaflor.
The 18th-century former Barrack-Garrison and Parish House are noteworthy examples of civil architecture in Peñaflor.
Its layout is typical of the houses at that time, with a central courtyard and two floors. The upper level has a gallery that is used to distribute the rooms.