This type of castle is very similar to the one in Las Aguzaderas and others of the border defence system: quadrangular floor plan and a keep in one of the greater sides of the rectangle. There is no detailed documentation about this fortress until the end of the 14th century.
El Real de la Jara enjoyed a strategic position throughout the Middle Ages, which made it a major defensive hub, as evidenced by the remains of the Castle, located a stone's throw from the town.
The fortress is located between the municipalities of Ecija and Herrera. Its dominant position with respect to the surrounding territory led to the existence of a major urban settlement in its surroundings during the Moorish period that survived until the reconquest.
The 14th-century Monclova Castle was built over the city of Obulcula. It has belonged to the House of the Dukes of the Infantado since 1837. It is the last remaining embodiment of a secular town centre as defined in the prehistoric, Turdetan and Roman periods, which was not so much a town as a rural hamlet, particularly during the Muslim domination.
It was designated a Site of Cultural Interest (BIC) as a Historic-Artistic Site in 1965.
The Cerro de San Cristóbal Monumental Site sits on a plateau atop the hill. This elongated almond-shaped compound is 450 metres long and 175-metres at its widest. It is considered the core area of the original Estepa settlement.
Located at the highest point of Carmona, west of the walled compound, this fortified palace was likely built in the Muslim period, specifically in the 12th century; however, there is no archaeological evidence to substantiate it.
The El Gandúl complex is located on the outskirts of the city and is considered to be one of the most interesting elements of the city's historical heritage, together with the Castle and the fortified site. The complex comprises the following elements: the Marchenilla Castle, the Gandúl Palace and the Necropolis.