The building where the Vice-chancellor's Office and the University Schools of Philology and Geography and History are located is one of the noblest in the Spanish university, while at the same time it was originally one of the most splendid representations of the industrial architecture of the old regime.
The Ponce de León Palace is currently the headquarters of EMASESA (Seville metropolitan water supply and sanitation company) and is undoubtedly one of the most interesting and important heritage buildings owned by Seville Town Council.
The Cathedral of Seville is the largest Gothic temple in the world and the third largest in Christendom after St. Peter's in the Vatican and St. Paul's in London. Building works began in 1403 on the former Great Mosque of Seville, an Almohad work of which the Patio de los Naranjos and the Giralda have been preserved.
This building was commissioned to the Sevillian master-builder Ambrosio de Figueroa in the 18th century by the San Juan Bautista Church. According to the books, it was used to store and restore the Church’s furnishings. It was also used as a granary. The building belonged to the parish, as evidence by the Cross of St John on the main gate.
The 18th-century residential architecture acquired an extraordinary dimension in Seville’s countryside, as it reflected the resurgence of the agrarian economy in towns and villages.
The Marquisate of the Peña de los Enamorados is a Spanish noble title created by King Carlos II in 1679 for Jerónimo Francisco de Rojas y Rojas, son of the 3rd Lord of the Peña de los Enamorados. Its name refers to the Peña de los Enamorados, located in the Andalusian municipality of Antequera, in the province of Malaga.
Currently, this palace belongs to the Marquis of Caltójar. It has been handed down from one generation to the next since the times of King Fernando III, “the Saint”, who conquered Seville.