Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Immaculate Conception Conventual Church

126
2

Built between the 16th and 17th centuries, the church belongs to the namesake convent, founded by Blessed Beatrice of Silva for the Franciscan Conceptionists. 

The church, which is one of the tallest in Osuna, has a typical conventual architecture with a single nave covered by a barrel vault with lunettes and barrel arches. The main chapel in the chancel has a presbytery covered by a wooden coffered ceiling decorated with strapwork.

The church is dominated by the main altarpiece divided by estipites, commissioned in 1717 by Francisco María de Ceiba. It holds the sculptures saints, including Saint Joseph, Saint Michael, Saint Francis and Saint Beatrice of Silva, the latter a modern creation. The central niche holds the image of the Virgin and Child, while Saint Joachim, Saint Anne and a scene of the Coronation of the Virgin appear in the gable.

Both the high and low choirs are at the west end of the church. The wall on the Gospel side has two baroque portals crowned by tall mixtilinear pediments.

The relentless horizontality of the stone side façade overlooks the square with interruptions nor gaps, from end to end. A horizontality broken only at the corner with the west end where a slender bell gable stands with the loudest bells in the city.

Only the church is open to visits. Free entrance.

Opening times

Monday - Saturday: 08:00 - 20:30. Mass 8:00)
Sunday: 9:30 - 13:00 (Mass 9:30)

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.