Located in Seville, the construction of the Chapel of San José was promoted by the corporation of carpenters who, after meeting in the town hall, decided in 1746 to extend the old temple by building a new, much deeper, main chapel, providing it with a front transept, a dressing room and a storeroom. The people of Seville participated and continue to participate actively in its construction with their donations and alms.
The work was completed in 1766, with the incorporation of a section at the foot of the old church and the construction of the new main façade. With regard to the demolished chapel, only the Mudejar coffered ceiling at the entrance remains.
In fact, the current chapel is the result of two construction stages that took place in the 18th century. The first one only preserves the nave, the side door, the two altarpieces of Solomonic columns and the mural painting of the vault, was carried out from 1698 to 1717; and the extension, which took place from 1746 to 1766, when the rest of the complex was completed. For this reason the Chapel of San José presents that strong baroque unity which makes it one of the most relevant samples of Sevillian baroque.
Despite its small size, it is one of the most ornate baroque churches in the town. The main altarpiece with images of Duque Cornejo stands out, as well as different reliefs on the marriage of the Virgin to Saint Joseph.
It is worth highlighting its beautiful main entrance, quite monumental for the small size of the temple. It is built in brick and tile, according to the Baroque style, like the rest of the temple. The façade is crowned by a two-body belfry in an almond colour that contrasts with the orange tone of the rest.