Santiponce Itálica


An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Old University


On 10 October 1548, Pope Paul III issued a Papal Bull authorising the construction of a “Studium Generale” in Osuna, dedicated to the Pure and Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary. Juan Téllez de Girón, 4th Count of Ureña and father of the First Duke of Osuna, requested the authorisation to found a Residential College and a University similar to the one in Alcalá de Henares on his lands. The students would earn degrees equal to those given in Bologna, Salamanca or Alcalá de Henares.

The building was exclusively paid for and endowed by the count. It created fifteen senior professorships at the University and eight junior professorships at the Residential College, grouped into several Faculties, including Theology, Law (Canons and Laws), Medicine and Arts. Theology was the busiest as it sought to educate future Church leaders more worthy of Christ.
The University of Osuna remained active until the reforms implemented by Minister Caballero in 1807, after which it closed, as did ten other smaller universities such as the one in Baeza. Its income and degrees were transferred to the University of Seville.

After many years closed, Osuna’s City Council carried out works in 1995 to upgrade the old university. The "Francisco Maldonado" School of Graduate Studies in Osuna opened in the academic year 1996-97. Today, the centre is affiliated to the University of Seville. It operates from a magnificent 16th-century building. It has been completely adapted to meet the needs of state-of-the-art educational centres.
It is listed as a Site of Cultural Interest.

Opening times


WINTER (16 September – 15 June)

10:00 - 14:00

16:00 - 18:00

Guided tour: 10:15-11:15-12:15-13:15-16:15-17:15


SUMMER (16 June - 15 September)

9:30 - 14:30

Thursday: 19:00 - 21:00

Guided tour: 9:30-10:30-11:30-12:30-13:30


New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.