The Santísimo Cristo de la Cárcel Chapel, located in the Plaza Principal, and currently renamed as Antonio Mairena, was directly communicated with the town’s former prison from which it took its name.
This late 18th-century Chapel was built to honour the now-lost image of a Crucified Christ, revered here in the mid-17th century according to available records.
The Chapel was built adjacent to the town’s former prison to house the image of Christ that was earlier venerated in the prison chapel. It was built to allow the prisoners to follow religious services through a window.
The Santísimo Cristo de la Cárcel, the most venerated image in town, is known as the “Lord of Mairena”. The former image of the Holiest Christ was destroyed in July 1936. The current statue is a reproduction made by the painter Félix Lacárcel.