The church was built at the expense of Cardinal Delgado and Venegas. The new church was built over the previous parish church that already existed in 1583, being completed in 1777. The building has three vaulted naves. In its altarpieces and chapels, you can find images and canvases of great artistic value from the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries, some of them by Sevillian image-makers such as Juan de Mesa and Montes de Oca. The image of María Santísima de los Dolores, Patron of the Hermandad de la Vera Cruz, is attributed to the latter.
At the foot of the church stands the tower, with two quadrangular bodies and a pyramid-shaped top. In front of the tower there is a lower section that stands out from the wall and contains the choir on its interior. The high altar dates from the 17th century and has a relief of Santiago.
One noteworthy feature of the parish church is the organ, a very large baroque instrument with an imposing sound and great musical value, being one of the few that remain from its time in the area. It is in perfect condition. The contributions that the Archbishop of Seville, honorary citizen of the town, made to the furnishings of the church are worthy of special mention. Other outstanding features are the great silver lamp in the central nave of the church and a gold chalice; all donated by this illustrious figure.