Santiponce Itálica


An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Town Hall, Former Carmelite Convent and Granary


El Coronil’s Town Hall is located in the town’s geographical centre. 

The Town Hall is situated in a picture-perfect historical building; a former convent founded by the Barefoot Carmelites in the late 17th century. The Order decided to leave this building in 1684, following the death of their patron Miguel Martín Pescador. They relocated to the Chapel of the True Cross, where there was more space to build.

The Convent was later used as a granary for abandoned children and a municipal prison. Its penultimate use was as a public school in the 20th century. Following Franco’s death, it became the Town Hall.

The building is predominantly in classicist style, in particular, with the use of the traditional Sevillian bichromy in which reddish structural elements are place on white walls. The central section of the façade is dominated by several stately balconies and a clock added in 1995 when New Year’s Eve began to be celebrated in the Plaza de la Constitución. 

Inside is a central cloister surrounded by two galleries. Although the building, which is L-shaped, has changed significantly to accommodate its administrative use, it still preserves most of its original character. It was built as a granary in the early 16th century, and would continue to operate as such until the 20th century. 

It is one of the oldest buildings in El Coronil. It was first used as a Town Hall in 1624. It has undergone several modifications, the main one being after the 1764 earthquake that destroyed the staircase. 

Highlights inside include a double bend staircase with landing and a coffered ceiling in the plenary room, which alternates wood with yellow and green ceramic elements. There is also several archaeological objects distributed throughout the interior.


New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.